[Ux] [Architecture] For discussion: Stop PCP work on live updates?

Andrés Iglesias Pérez aiglesias at technosite.es
Fri Jun 27 05:03:39 EDT 2014

Ok thanks.

Yes, you're right. It makes no sense to force a restart of the user's device to change settings given context. It's annoying, it disturbs the user flow and in many cases when the system is ready to work again the context has changed, so in the best case we did it for nothing and in the worst case we enter in an infinite loop or restarting.

The MMM will only provoke changes in the UI that are ready to be applied live. It'll be great to have such a knowledge somewhere, what changes are ready to be applied live.

 For long-term situations (that starts not being context-awareness) we could be tempted to introduce a recommendation. Maybe the MMM can send a JSON to the PCP in the same format than the real MM and have a nameless adjuster to restart device and apply changes. But always after user agreement. And that enters the problem on how the user is going to tell us that he want changes, if he needs the changes before using the UI. So probably the cleverest approach is to trust that the user will do logout and then login to get the "changes after restart" done. That is not for free, then we need to send the last context data alongside the logout, and store them to apply them if there's a new login in the next few minutes, or erase them if this new login doesn't happen. And some training of the user to know this behaviour. Maybe in the "interaction help" part, maybe in a new section of the PCP that would had interaction tips.

Kind regards,
--
Andrés Iglesias Pérez || Andres Iglesias-Perez
Researcher @ R&D Department, Fundosa Technosite.
Sorry - I meant the context aware work in Cloud4All. For it to work
the settings must change 'live' as the context changes.
Steve Lee
OpenDirective http://opendirective.com