[Ux] Filtering settings for live updates: MM, PCP, Semantic Framework? (was: PCP PMT Meeting, June 26, 2014)

Alexander Milchev amilchev at asteasolutions.com
Wed Jul 2 12:52:54 EDT 2014

Hi Michelle, Dana, Colin, Christophe and others!

Following up on a previous comment in the thread "*[Ux] For discussion:
Stop PCP work on live updates? (was: PCP PMT Meeting, June 26, 2014)*", I
suggest we decide on this and all other questions related to MM <-> PCP
interaction by *organizing a GoToMeeting talk.*

I suggest you reply in either of these threads if you like the idea for
this talk and perhaps if you can add another question/decision to discuss.

Pasting the questions we've had so far here as well:

   1. *Is the decision for PCP NOT showing "dead adjusters" (ones that need
   restart to be applied) final?*
      1. If so, who will take care of filtering out the dead adjusters when
      being passed from MM to PCP?
      2. Also, on Windows PCP would only contain high contrast on/off
      adjuster.
   2. *What mechanism will we use for PCP -> MM communication (user
   feedback): WebSockets or HTTP request?*
      1. Why Websockets: Both FM and PCP currently have scaleable APIs for
      communication. Implementing this would be easy.
      2. Why HTTP: Makes sense since it's a message that will be sent only
      once. Btw, are we sure about this in the long run?
   3. *For MM -> PCP part (MM determining which adjusters PCP to show),
   does MM team agree to send a simple array of adjusters?*
      1. E.g. ["contrastEnabled", "contrastTheme", "textSize",
       "cursorSize"].
      2. There is work in progress for this in my branch gpii-543
      <https://github.com/radmanovi4/prefsEditors/tree/gpii-543>.
   4. *What mechanism will we use for MM -> PCP communication and who will
   implement this?*
      1. I suppose HTTP request since this is definitely a single event.

Again, waiting for your thoughts on this suggestion?

Best,
Alexander

On Thu, Jun 26, 2014 at 6:33 PM, Christophe Strobbe <
strobbe at hdm-stuttgart.de> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> In the PCP/PMT meeting, we discussed two issues that require input from
> other teams. This is the second sub-thread (the first one is about
> whether to continue work on live updates).
>
> Recently, Alexander Milchev asked on both the UX list and the
> Architecture list [1] whether the PCP should display adjusters for
> settings that do not trigger live changes in solutions. (For the pilots,
> the PCP only displays adjusters that trigger live updates in solutions.)
> If we decide to continue displaying only adjusters that trigger live
> updates, the next question is how the PCP should know whether a setting
> supports live updates. Previously, we agreed that the matchmakers should
> determine which settings should be made available in the PCP (see
> GPII-543 and GPII-440 [2]). However, does this mean that the matchmaker
> should filter settings that support live updates, or should the PCP do
> this after receiving its payload from the matchmaker? It makes more
> sense for the matchmaker to do the filtering.
> The next question then is: where does a matchmaker get the information
> whether a setting can trigger live updates? I think this should be
> available in the Solutions Registry (see GPII-631) or the Semantic
> Framework (see GPII-632 [3]), so the matchmaker can get it from there.
>
> Could the MM and Semantic Framework teams provide some input on this?
>

> [1] On UX: <http://lists.gpii.net/pipermail/ux/2014-June/001064.html>;
> on Architecture:
> <http://lists.gpii.net/pipermail/architecture/2014-June/002452.html>.
> [2] <http://issues.gpii.net/browse/GPII-543> and
> <http://issues.gpii.net/browse/GPII-440>.
> [3] <http://issues.gpii.net/browse/GPII-631> and
> <http://issues.gpii.net/browse/GPII-632>.
>
> Best regards,
>
> Christophe Strobbe
>
> On 26/06/2014 16:36, Michelle D'Souza wrote:
> > Here are the notes from today's meeting:
> >
> >       For pilots PCP should only show live updates. If matchmakers are
> determining which adjusters to show, some may need a restart. What should
> the PCP do?
> >       Design team feels that the PCP should only show things that are
> live applied. This implies that someone needs to filter out the adjusters
> that require a restart.
> >       Christophe will propose a suggestion for who should do the
> filtering on list.
> >
> >       Suggestion to stop investing a lot of resources into the PCP since
> there is such a limited set of setting that can be live applied.
> >       This question will be brought to list so we can have a larger
> conversation around it.
> >
> >       Items disappearing from PMT - no one can reproduce the issue. Alex
> asked for more details to attempt to reproduce it.
> >
> >       Feedback to matchmaker - are there mockups? This hasn't been
> decided yet, the discussions are ongoing.
> >
> >       Justin and Alex continue to work through the pull request for
> GPII-716

> [...]

*Alexander Milchev*
*First Level Software Engineer*
*Astea Solutions AD*

criminal offense. If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify
Astea Solutions AD immediately by reply e-mail, and delete this e-mail and
any copies of it.*