[Ux] CLOUD4ALL: PMT unit tests

Colin Clark colinbdclark at gmail.com
Thu Dec 4 11:49:12 EST 2014

Hi Kostas,

From my perspective, unit tests are not optional in our system. They are a standard practice for any developer today, regardless of whether they work in industry or research. The requirement to write unit tests for all functionality shouldn't be unusual or difficult for most developers.

The reason is that if you don't write unit tests, we will have no way to verify that the PMT is actually functioning as expected and that it continues to work when things change as we prepare of the review and beyond. A practical example of this is the recent breakage of the PMT with the "fireball branch." Had there been an automated suite of unit tests, we would have caught this regression weeks ago.

Equally, if there are cases where you are expecting Flow Manager-side support for the PMT, we need unit tests to ensure that anything we implement is correctly meeting the contract that you expect. We can't be responsible for a working integration in the absence of unit tests.

When it comes to the pressure of deadlines related to the review (which I totally empathize with) and your desire to reduce scope by not writing unit tests, I will need to defer to Manuel and Gregg. My advice is that not writing unit tests is a technical risk, and you will likely need to be responsible for a more rigorous manual testing procedure (i.e. testing by hand daily against the latest maser branch of the whole system) in order to ensure that everything continues to work.

Colin