[SmartHouses] Smart home app: Defining the Year 3 demonstration use case

Boyan Sheytanov bsheytanov at asteasolutions.com
Fri May 30 03:57:24 EDT 2014

Hi again!

Including the smarthouses list. See *BS below*.

On Thu, May 29, 2014 at 7:39 PM, Gregg Vanderheiden <gv at trace.wisc.edu>
wrote:

> see  *GV:  below*
>
> On May 29, 2014, at 6:01 AM, Boyan Sheytanov <
> bsheytanov at asteasolutions.com> wrote:
>
> Hi Gregg!
>
> We are targeting various disability groups -- people with visual, hearing,
> cognitive, motor impairments. You don't need to change your preference set
> to cook a different meal -- but instead use the oven controls to set the
> temperature. For some disability groups that would be fine.
>
> We have implemented something similar to your suggestion in other
> appliances -- e.g. the washing machine. There you have a bunch of big
> buttons (cotton, linen, etc.) which automatically set the temperature,
> duration, spinning speed, etc.
>
> The idea is that we have different appliances from different manufacturers
> -- which have different displays. Some appliances would allow a very easy
> UX for any user, others will have a very limited visual space on the
> display. We want to demonstrate how GPII gives the *best possible*
> experience given the limitations of the device. Therefore we deliberately
> chose the oven to have few controls and no way of a single-click operation,
> while the washing machine has it.
>
> As suggested, the demonstration of the oven is for a person with hearing
> impairments -- and he would probably manage to use the oven controls as
> they are. We can change the device/persona demonstrated if you want to
> point out a different scenario in front of the EC.
>

> *GV:   Correct.   (except of course if they had another disability as well
> - like they were old and can’t see well)*
>
> *GV: for the person who is deaf it would be the timer bell - and other
> audio alerts.   But the oven would need to work for other disabilities as
> well.    I don’t think I heard of anyone using the preferences to set the
> temperature of the stove or its timer — but rather to change the interface
> so that it was more usable.  (using the PMT to change the stove temperature
> seems overly complicated —  and changing preference profiles to change to
> different presets is perhaps more complicated yet.     (I’m not sure we
> want to demo or talk about this.   I think it confuses things quite a bit.
>  )*

*BS: I think I got lost somewhere. We will not use the preference sets to
set the temp or timer of the stove -- these will still be set from the
stove controls. The preference set is used to show a usable interface to
the user.*

> *what do others think? *
>
> *GV:  Perhaps we should be assuming that we have more modern products that
> have interfaces that can be adapted? *

*BS: We can do that, but I am not sure if it would lead to a better demo.
If all products are adaptable to the same level, what is the point of
having half a dozen of them showing the same adaptations? Isn't it better
to demonstrate variety -- i.e. how GPII works with various appliances?
Otherwise we are just saying "GPII will help you control your smart home
but make sure you have the latest appliances only."*

> *Now that I said that —   I think the idea of using the PCP as an
> alternate interface to products needs to be explored.   Gottfried
> is leading that effort so I have added him.*
> * CON - see above - but it complicates the PCP role and complicates PCPs*
> * PRO - it is an easy way to call up just some basic controls perhaps
>  (most used controls) in a simple format.  *
> * - so maybe it is not a real alternate interface — but is an alternate
> interface to some of the controls*
> * - or MAYBE we just use the PCP to CALL UP the alternate interface (ala
> URC) *

*BS: The smartphone in the simulation
(https://smarthouse-dev.remex.hdm-stuttgart.de/#/devices/phone
<https://smarthouse-dev.remex.hdm-stuttgart.de/#/devices/phone>) is meant
to be an alternate interface to products. I fear the PCP would get way too
complicated if we add the functionality you suggest there.*

 *But I DO think we need to not confuse Needs&Preferences
> (settings regarding the interface)  and the functions of the products
>  (actually operating the interface - like setting the temperature of the
> oven) *

*BS: I agree. I have tried to use needs and prefernces for the former and
settings for the latter -- but that might still be confusing.*

> *PS - why isn’t this discussion occurring on the public GPII SmartHouse
> list? *

*BS: I forgot to add the list previously. I forwarded the previous messages
from the thread there.*

> *Gregg*
>

> Best,
> Boyan
>
> On Thu, May 29, 2014 at 8:30 AM, Gregg Vanderheiden <gv at trace.wisc.edu>
> wrote:
>

>> On May 28, 2014, at 9:33 AM, Boyan Sheytanov <
>> bsheytanov at asteasolutions.com> wrote:
>>
>> 4)  in #2 below — you mean the    Oven’s  ‘look-and-feel’  settings  yes?
>>>    (not temp settings)
>>>

>> I mean settings like temperature, duration of cooking, etc. Ovens don't
>> usually have UI for setting 'look-and-feel' settings like contrast, font
>> size, etc. This comes from the GPII preference set only (but if you think
>> it should be configurable via the oven buttons, we can add that).
>>

>> Boyan,
>>
>> Hmmm.
>>
>> Maybe I am misunderstanding but that sounds pretty unusual to me.  What
>> disability group are you targeting.   This would require you to know how to
>> change your preference set in order to cook each different type of food.
>>

>> How about this instead
>> There are many stoves/oven that have very digital displays - -  and we
>> could have on that has advanced and simple displays.   Including a display
>> with food names on it - where you push the name that matches the food you
>> are preparing.    That is a lot more logical I think (and feasible /
>> practical ) than having someone with a cognitive disability figure out how
>> to change their preference set to match their meal tonight.
>>
>> Yes?
>>
>> or am I misunderstanding.

http://www.asteasolutions.com

criminal offense. If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify
Astea Solutions AD immediately by reply e-mail, and delete this e-mail and
any copies of it.*