[Architecture] First stumbling blocks with npm at 5...

Tony Atkins tony at raisingthefloor.org
Thu Jun 8 11:36:15 UTC 2017

Hi, All:

I just encountered two blockers with npm at 5 and wanted to start a new thread
to discuss:

https://issues.gpii.net/browse/UL-124

There are two separate failures when installing the dependencies for a
single package.  Although there are workarounds, none is (in my opinion)
appropriate to expect other developers to be aware of, or to incorporate
into our QI configuration.

Your mileage may vary, it may be that npm at 5 will work for you, but for the
moment, I'm going to back off a bit and use npm at 3 for my immediate work.
It's the most reliable at the moment, and matches what the Windows Vagrant
VMs use.  As it's trivial to switch back and forth, I will keep trying npm at 5
periodically, especially when there are new releases that include relevant
fixes.

If we don't get back to this naturally in other work, IMO it would be good
to revisit this once npm at 5 is closer to being bundled with our VMs.

Cheers,

Tony