[Architecture] [UX/DSN] A few notes from Google I/O....

Whitney Quesenbery whitneyq at civicdesign.org
Mon May 23 10:54:00 UTC 2016

Tangential to GPII, doesn’t it sound like there’s a lot of opportunity for mischief in

"It can do anything else a normal app can do.  So, for example, clicking on the results of a first discovery tool to download your settings could result in installing the GPII Android app, which would do lots of other things besides intercepting calls to download preference sets.”

It sounds like anyone can create a link that could send a user to any app and install it, and that that app then acts as though the  user had intentionally downloaded all of its capabilities.

I can see all of the benefits for GII (because we believe it’s beneficial), but doesn’t this leave the user with little or no control over their own device, with lots of possibilities for malware?

Whitney

Whitney Quesenbery
Center for Civic Design
civicdesign.org