[Architecture] A few notes from Google I/O....

Steve Lee steve at opendirective.com
Mon May 23 07:50:32 UTC 2016

Thanks for the clarification. Sound like some good applications as you suggest.

It does appear the UX is better defined than for progressive web apps. Though this is android only.

Steve

On Mon, May 23, 2016 at 12:36 AM -0700, "Tony Atkins" <tony at raisingthefloor.org> wrote:

Hi, All:
The integration between web apps and apps is handled using "app links".  By default, a plain old web link is handled by the browser.  A web site can provide a particular settings file in a well-known location that indicates what apps are allowed to intercept links to the site.  You don't have to have control of the apps you allow, you can list anyone's app as appropriate.  However, the reverse is not true.  Although anyone can indicate in their manifest that they handle links to your site, but the app will only be allowed to intercept the link if your site has the app's details in its settings file.  "Instant Apps" extends this, my understanding is that when you visit the site, the list of allowed apps on the web site is read, and you are presented with a single-click link to temporarily install an allowed app.
However, the app doesn't only have to intercept links to the web site.  It can do anything else a normal app can do.  So, for example, clicking on the results of a first discovery tool to download your settings could result in installing the GPII Android app, which would do lots of other things besides intercepting calls to download preference sets.
As there is a path to promote an "instant app" to be just like any other installed app, the "sandboxing" part of the equation is more about how far you can take the user without asking them to commit to installing the app for real.
Cheers,

Tony