[Architecture] [TigerTeam] Next AT to work on

Tony Atkins tony at raisingthefloor.org
Mon Jul 13 03:37:33 EDT 2015

Hi, All:

I just checked JIRA's permissions, we need to review as a group and make a
few changes.  I'm copying in the architecture team to get their input.

In summary, the following transitions are locked down:

   1. "Pull Request Created": Can only be executed by users in the
   jira-developers group.
   2. "Resolve Issue": Can only be executed by users with the developer
   role for the individual project.
   3. "Close Issue": Can only be executed by users with the developer role
   for the individual project.

The jira-developers group is in the developer role for all projects by
default, so they have all permissions.

To resolve this, there are a few options:

   1. We add tiger team members to the jira-developers group (which gives
   nearly unlimited access to work with issues in all projects).
   2. We open up the restricted actions to all users (even more open and
   inclusive, but potentially pretty disruptive).
   3. We update the permission scheme to use the developer role for "Pull
   Request Created", which will allow us to control all permissions per
   project by adding groups and users to the developer role in a project.  We
   would use this to relax the permissions for the Tiger Team project.

My recommendation is the last option, which we can use to give Wayne and
others access in one of two ways:

   1. We can create a new tiger team group and open up the restricted
   actions to just that group.  (This will require someone to manage group
   memberships as people join).
   2. We can allow everyone to use those actions in the Tiger Team project
   as long as they have an account.

Of the two, opening up access to everyone for that project seems the best
option for a team focused on growing our community participation.

Adjusting the Tiger Team project requires minimal changes that should not
affect other projects.  I will wait until tomorrow to leave time for people
to react, but would like to make at least some change tomorrow morning so
that Wayne and others can continue working.  Please comment before then if
at all possible.

If you are traveling, out of the office, and come back to find this, don't
worry.  This can all be adjusted as we continue to grow.  Just comment when
you can and we'll work from there.

Cheers,

Tony