[Architecture] NVDA on master

Antranig Basman antranig.basman at colorado.edu
Tue Jan 13 14:23:15 EST 2015

On 13/01/2015 02:43, Steven Githens wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I’m trying to get NVDA to launch on github master (on Windows8), and am getting this error about 'settings
> not settling':
>
> https://gist.github.com/sgithens/684ef73220fe48ae15cc
>
> Any ideas what the issue might be?
>
> Also, in the preferences, I had to rename it from nvda.screenReader to org.nvda-project.
>
> Cheers,
> Steve

The architecture was improved last month to verify that the settings that we write are the ones that the
application ends up storing. It appears that somehow an extra element named "update" is introduced into the
INI file, presumably by the application itself. You might try to study the INI file to see if you can
discover when/how this element gets into it - I can only imagine that on discovering that the contents have
changed, that the application rewrites it by itself.
If/once we understand the issue, we should fix our settings handler so that it filters out this value when
reporting back the payload, to avoid confusing the lifecycle manager. The new behaviour is, on discovering a
mismatch between the written settings and the read settings, to i) continue trying to reread the settings to
see if they will eventually agree, and ii) to periodically reissue the rewrite to see if that will also
cause them to agree.
This issue also highlights the vital importance to the GPII of having a standard set of acceptance testing
virtual machines, configured with each of the different applications that we support, so that we can detect
these kinds of issues on a nightly build basis rather than running into them weeks or months later.

Cheers,

Antranig.