[Architecture] GPII in Debian 9?

Samuel Thibault sthibault at debian.org
Sun Aug 30 15:40:23 UTC 2015

Hello,

Samuel Thibault, le Sun 30 Aug 2015 17:31:25 +0200, a écrit :
> > I'm specially concerned about the debian policies on node.js and bundled
> > dependencies. Samuel?
>
> We have a version of node.js which is fine for us in Debian. If GPII can
> work with it, then it's fine.

Is it actually really needed?

The goal would be that we get this installed *everywhere*, so we need to
be very cautious about dependencies.

As discussed with Javier and Christophe, a version installed everywhere
doesn't need to be very complex, just a few profiles, such as running
speech synthesis with default parameters, magnification, ... And
triggering would be done through a USB stick containing a given file.

Actually, in my mind, in the simplest version, GPII would be just a
standard saying the name of the file to be found on a USB key and
the format of its content, and desktop environments implement that
themselves the way they prefer.  In a less simple version but way more
effective, a cross-desktop daemon implements it, and we get it installed
and run on all desktops.  But again, dependencies have to be light,
otherwise people would shout that we're wasting disk space with node.js
dependencies.

Samuel