[Architecture] Techniques for effectively using our mailing lists (was Re: Communication between Matchmaker and PCP)

Antranig Basman antranig.basman at colorado.edu
Mon Apr 28 17:59:21 EDT 2014

Thanks for your response, Gregg.
My view is that we require the transparency that one or more public lists provide, and need to set a clear
expectation that our work is done such a venue by default - unless there are specific reasons justifying why
a particular communication is better made privately.

I know that all of us are suffering from overflowing inboxes, but unfortunately the ability to monitor
multiple feeds of information, skimming for relevance if necessary and applying filters to organise the
information as appropriate, is one of the requirements for those aspiring to any kind of managerial or
coordinating role in a technical project. This goes through doubly for a project such as ours which is
entirely supported by public funds and has a mission to serve the public in general. We are being paid
specifically to maintain our technical and coordination material in a public way.

Our architecture list, by the standards of any comparable open source project, has extremely low traffic -
perhaps it averages one or two posts per day. In general it carries information that every member of our
communities should be interested in - even if necessarily there are some messages which are more specific to
one or another of our subprojects.

As an example, the thread "What do new contributors and implementers need to know" between Justin Obara and
Tony Atkins earlier this month is a perfect example of a conversation that every member of our communities
should be aware of.

http://lists.gpii.net/pipermail/architecture/2014-April/subject.html

I disagree with the suggestion that we avoid circulating discussion to lists (such as this one) by default.

Cheers,
Antranig