[Architecture] Saving preferences sets via the FlowManager?

Colin Clark colinbdclark at gmail.com
Mon Apr 28 17:41:27 EDT 2014

On Apr 25, 2014, at 8:02 AM, Boyan Sheytanov <bsheytanov at asteasolutions.com> wrote:

> If we step back a bit, are the following statements correct (we want to save application-specific settings for the SmartHouses app)?
> 	• We should make an HTTP POST request to the cloud-based Flow Manager -- the URL is https://flowmanager.gpii.net/save/%token;
> 	• The data part of the above request should contain preferences in the exact same format that a GET request to the Preferences Server would return;

From my reading of the code, /save is a direct proxy to the Preferences Server. So you’ll use the same payload and semantics as a POST there.

> Also, will this do an overwrite or a merge?

It will be an overwrite. As far as I know, there are no merge semantics for the preferences server currently.

I was thinking about this over the weekend and wondered why the Smart Houses simulation is making changes to a user’s preference set? Does it include some kind of built-in preferences editor? Is it using the Preferences Framework that is also being used by your team to build the PCP, or is something completely separate?

Colin