[Architecture] Saving preferences sets via the FlowManager?

Boyan Sheytanov bsheytanov at asteasolutions.com
Wed Apr 16 09:37:21 EDT 2014

Hi everyone!

In the SmartHouses app, we would like to permanently save some
application-specific preferences upon specific user actions. It seems that
currently the architecture supports two ways of doing that:

   - Making a POST request to the Preferences Server directly at
   /user/%token
   - Making a POST request to the Flow Manager at /save/%token

The latter was implemented by Yura as part of
GPII-75<http://issues.gpii.net/browse/GPII-75> (see
lines 105-118 in
FlowManager.js<https://github.com/GPII/universal/blob/master/gpii/node_modules/flowManager/src/FlowManager.js#L105-118>)
but it doesn't seem to be used anywhere outside the tests for
it<https://github.com/GPII/universal/blob/master/gpii/node_modules/flowManager/test/SaveTests.js>
.

The FlowManager /save API is not documented anywhere and the documentation
for the Preferences
Server<http://wiki.gpii.net/index.php/Preferences_Server> doesn't
reveal too much details (e.g. what is the expected format of the POST
request data).

My questions are:
1. Which API should we use for saving user preferences - directly to the
Preferences Server or through the Flow Manager as a proxy?
2. Is there other documentation on these topics that I am missing? I know I
can look directly at the code but that is time-consuming and not really
welcoming to new developers.

http://www.asteasolutions.com

criminal offense. If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify
Astea Solutions AD immediately by reply e-mail, and delete this e-mail and
any copies of it.*