[Architecture] Integrating a new Matchmaker

Yura Zenevich yura.zenevich at gmail.com
Wed Jan 9 11:35:22 EST 2013

Hi Andy,

This would be really nice to have more alternative implementations for the matchmaker strategies and/or component.

Currently there are two ways to customize the matchmaking step in the architecture:

* By creating a new custom strategy that the default match maker would be using (the defaults strategy can be found here: https://github.com/GPII/universal/blob/master/gpii/node_modules/matchMaker/src/MatchMaker.js#L36 and here https://github.com/GPII/universal/blob/master/gpii/node_modules/matchMaker/src/FlatMatchMaker.js#L19-L27). The strategy is essentially just a function with a specific signature (see flat and canopy matchmaker strategies). It would be nice to have some feedback, in case you will choose this approach, on whether the function signature (in other words API) is sufficient enough for your needs and if/how it needs to be expanded to be more robust!

* The other approach would essentially involve swapping all of the matchmaker component (although that means you would be loosing all of the existing infrastructure that might be otherwise useful). The thing to worry about here is the external matchmaker API. Matchmaker should support POST requests with solutions and preferences information and should respond with the matched solutions payload. This approach would be more involved and if you decide to do it, let me know if you need any more pointers.

Regards,

Yura