[Architecture] URIs for different categories of registry terms

Christophe Strobbe strobbe at hdm-stuttgart.de
Tue Jan 8 11:30:10 EST 2013

Hi,

The wiki page at <http://wiki.gpii.net/index.php/REGISTRY#Format>
distinguishes between different categories of terms: preference terms (and
their aliases), condition terms, operators, etc.
Based on what I read in example preference sets and on
<http://wiki.gpii.net/index.php/Proposal_for_Declarative_Preference_Conditions>,
there seems to be a URI convention to distinguish the different categories
of terms. Below is an overview:

Common terms:
URI starts with http://registry.gpii.org/common/. E.g.
http://registry.gpii.org/common/fontSize

Terms for names of settings in applications or implementations:
URI starts with http://registry.gpii.org/applications/. E.g.
http://registry.gpii.org/applications/org.gnome.desktop.a11y.applications.screen-reader-enabled
See the Timothy example on Github:
<https://github.com/GPII/universal/blob/master/testData/preferences/timothy.json>.
These seem to be different from application-unique terms, but I don't know
if we have settled on a convention for URIs that identify this category of
terms.

Operators:
URI starts with http://registry.gpii.org/operators/. E.g.
http://registry.gpii.org/operators/and

Conditions:
URI starts with http://registry.gpii.org/condition/. E.g.
http://registry.gpii.org/condition/currentTime
(However, I saw something with 'environment' in the URI somewhere. The
idea was to distinguish dynamic things like time from some other types of
conditions; e.g. time would have a URI starting with
http://registry.gpii.org/environment/).

As far as I know, this convention has not been written up anywhere, so I
thought it may be useful to ask for comments on this and then write up the
consensus (even if it is temporary) somewhere in the wiki. [1] I would
like to have some documentation about this, because there are several
tools in Cloud4all that read or write (or both read and write) preference
sets.

Best regards,

Christophe

[1] We can then link to that write-up from the decisions log at
<http://wiki.gpii.net/index.php/DECISIONS_LOG>.

--
Christophe Strobbe
Akademischer Mitarbeiter