[Architecture] language codes in preference sets (BCP47 and ISO 639-x)

Christophe Strobbe strobbe at hdm-stuttgart.de
Tue Jan 8 10:43:11 EST 2013

Hi,

Some time ago, I suggested that the 'language' term in the Registry should
use BCP47 instead of ISO 639-2/T to define its value space:
<http://wiki.gpii.net/index.php/Discussion_on_Profile_Structure#Language_Codes>.
What I wrote in October may have given the impression that we should
always use three-letter codes for the language subtags in language tags.
Since it's a bit more subtle than that, I have added some notes about
this. (For example, "en-US" is still the preferred way to identify
American English). See the list item that starts with "General rule" at
the above URL.
Let me know if you have any comments.

Best regards,

Christophe