[Architecture] Standards for defining value space in Registry

Christophe Strobbe strobbe at hdm-stuttgart.de
Mon Feb 18 11:36:36 EST 2013

Hi,

In today's joint telecon on Registry terms, we added a new column to the
table with Registry fields to define what the format of each field should
be. One of these fields is "ValueSpace": each term should have a
machine-readable definition of the value space. The next question then is:
How do you write machine-readable descriptions of a value space. Values
may be colours (e.g. RGBA), integers, floating point numbers, text strings
(from enumerated values), URIs, times of day, language identifiers,
brightness values, loudness values, etc etc etc.

It would be nice if we could reuse an existing standard or convention
instead of inventing our own. There are some standards that define ways of
describing data types, like XML Schema Part 2
<http://www.w3.org/TR/xmlschema-2/> and the OpenAjax Metadata 1.0
Specification
<http://www.openajax.org/member/wiki/OpenAjax_Metadata_1.0_Specification_Datatypes>.
So I would like to ask if you know other standards that could be use for
this and request comments on how well they would fit our needs.

See the Value Space section in the wiki page about the Registry:
<http://wiki.gpii.net/index.php/Common_Terms_Registry#Value_Space>.

Best regards,

Christophe

--