[Architecture] A Log-in Finger Ring? Google Working on Password Alternatives

Christophe Strobbe strobbe at hdm-stuttgart.de
Mon Feb 11 11:03:44 EST 2013

See <http://mashable.com/2013/01/18/google-password-alternatives/>.

Some selections from the article:

As detailed in a research paper in IEEE Security & Privacy Magazine and
reported on by Wired, Google is already looking into password alternatives
in the form of passdevices. The initiatives have also been confirmed by
Mashable.

"We're focused on making authentication more secure, and yet easier to
manage. We believe experiments like these can help make login systems
better," a Google spokesperson said.

Google is currently running a pilot program with USB cards called
Yubikeys, which aims to get passwords off computers and the cloud. This
means that instead of having Google accounts tied to text, they would be
linked with an actual device.

Best regards,

Christophe

--