[Architecture] Needed from Javi for 1st Pilots - Current State of Linux Settings and Transformations

Christophe Strobbe strobbe at hdm-stuttgart.de
Fri Apr 5 08:53:50 EDT 2013

Hi Claudia,

Am Fr, 5.04.2013, 13:44 schrieb Claudia Loitsch:
> Hi Christophe, Javi,
>
> Am 04.04.2013 15:01, schrieb Christophe Strobbe:
>> Hi Claudia, Javi,

>>> About the AnnounceCapitals term, there is not a specific preference of
>>> it. An approximation about it was to rise the uppercase's pitch up,
>>> but Orca's already doing this for uppercase letters (setting
>>> average-pitch to 5.6)
>> Right. NVDA has three ways of "announcing" capitals:
>> * say "cap"
>> * beep
>> * change the pitch
>>
>> Orca can only change the pitch.
>>
>> For the "essential registry terms" for the first evaluation phase, we
>> originally chose only "say cap". I can't remember a discussion about how
>> to map these different sets of options. We could agree to map NVDA's
>> "say
>> cap" to Orca's pitch change, but do we map Orca's pitch change to NVDA's
>> "say cap" (so the process is symmetrical) or to NVDA's pitch change (so
>> it
>> makes sense semantically)?
>
> I don`t think that we should map between NVDA's sayCapForCapitals and
> Orca`s pitch change and vise versa *per default*. Wouldn’t this be only
> an agreement for the 1^st pilots? Or only an agreement as long as
> capPitchChange is technically supported by the architecture? I think the
> exact default transformation should be: Pitch change (NVDA) and pitch
> change (ORCA). Default transformation means only the basic
> transformations supported by the transformer. Indeed a matchmaker could
> map between “say cap” and pitch change if a matchmaker infers that.

I agree. Mapping NVDA's sayCapForCapitals to Orca's capPitchChange is a
temporary arrangement.
The desired mapping after the first evaluation phase is between Pitch
change (NVDA) and pitch change (ORCA). Mapping NVDA's "say cap" to Orca's
pitch change would be a fallback as long as Orca doesn't have "say cap".

I'll link to this message from the wiki page about "essential registry
terms", so we'll remember what we said ;-)

Best regards,

Christophe

--
Christophe Strobbe