[Architecture] Weekly meeting Minutes - Oct. 24, 2012

Kasper Galschiot Markus kasper at raisingthefloor.org
Wed Oct 24 15:10:05 EDT 2012

Hi Everyone,

Meeting notes from todays architecture meeting pasted below!

Next meeting is Wednesday October 31st - on Halloween - oooooooohhh

Please take note that we have switched to using gotomeeting:
https://www3.gotomeeting.com/join/705233502

Cheers,
Kasper

---------

*== Agenda: ==*

* Updates
* Floating Panel

*== Updates: ==*

Kasper:
- Nothing new, except working with Gregg on moving registry towards reality

Antranig:
- Still bashing on core framework
- Evgenis pull request still pending
- Talking with Yura about ontology server

Colin:
- Pressing need to document flat preferences format + conditions (had
misunderstanding due to this not being up to date at MatchMaker meeting)
- Currently preferences format/conditions format are more or less
stable, we should consider making a schema
- Wants to sit down with Yura and look at above mentioned format

Evgeni:
- Has been almost dying from sickness
- Working on last comments for pull request, and pretty much done and
will update pull request tomorrow
- Working on matchmakers floating panel, looking at different options:
-- Modelling as a webpage (too restrictive, cannot do much of the things
we want to)
-- Create it in Java using eg. Swing - more promising (Colin is worried
about using Java)

Yura:
- Looking at ontology pull request (which also adresses migration of
demands expressed declaratively as part of JSON files)
- A bit stuck, will discuss with Antranig
- Will look at preferences structure with Colin

Steve (not present):
- Linux RFID stuff is up, related email threads.
- Making progress on the dbus linux package scanner for the device
reporter.  Probably won't want to include this in the first dev release
that has to go out soon, but it should likely be working and everything
when the release is actually ready. ( ie. I doubt it'll be up to snuff
before a release freeze ).

*== Floating Panel ==*

Evgenis take on floating panel:

* Receives user NP set
* Analyse the settings stored in the profile
* Creates interface where user can adjust a relevant subset of these
settings
* Settings changed in Floating Panel can be seen live and will only be
temporary (not stored in profile)
* Eventually user will be prompted to store settings

Evgeni: Webpage in a browser is too restrictive (eg. script execution,
etc) and too slow

Colin: we discussed in Stuttgart considered using UIOptions
Colin: We should support ubiquitous deployment. Java isn't well
supported in Java/Android/... The question is whether is supported to
create an HTML application as native style application, allowing
'unrestricted' access to the OS functionality we need (eg. script
execution.).

*== ACTION items: ==*
- Yura and Colin: Sit down and look at preferences/conditions format
(and document it?)
- Examine options for making HTML5/JS/CSS apps delivered as native
application (under windows, mac, linux, android, IOS) (COLIN+EVGENI):
    1. PhoneGap for desktop platforms
    2. Other tools (perhaps something like
http://awesomium.com/http://awesomium.com/)?
    3. Mozilla Chromeless
    4. Theres's something called MacGap: https://github.com/maccman/macgap
    5. Webkit
    6. QT WebKit View
    7. http://code.google.com/p/chromiumembedded/
    8. Here's a tutorial for doing it with WinForms:
http://aautar.digital-radiation.com/blog/?p=1327
    9.
https://groups.google.com/forum/?fromgroups=#!topic/mozilla-labs/8ErHY7V3mKA
"If you grab the latest Nightly build of Firefox [1], it has support for
installing an HTML5 Application as a native launchable application on
Windows and Mac, with support for more APIs coming soon [2]."

"Application support is currently enabled on Firefox 16, and is expected
to remain enabled when Firefox 16 ships in October."

--
Kasper Galschiot Markus
Research Engineer,