[Architecture] Windows AT settings in the registry

Boyan Sheytanov boyan.sheytanov at asteasolutions.com
Wed Feb 22 14:50:28 UTC 2012

Hi everyone,

I updated the wiki pages for the
Narrator<http://wiki.gpii.net/index.php/Screen_Reader_Settings:_Win7_Built_in_Narrator>and
Magnifier<http://wiki.gpii.net/index.php/Screen_Magnifier_Settings:_Windows_built_in>
registry
settings in Windows 7. I had some interesting (and important) observations
while experimenting:
1. If the tools haven't been used before, the corresponding keys in the
registry wouldn't be created at all. I couldn't find though where the
default values are stored, which would be an issue when restoring the
original settings upon user logout.
2. Live configuration is not supported, i.e. changing a registry setting
while the app is running doesn't take effect until the app is restarted.
Therefore we have to make sure that we set all the user preferences
*before*running the corresponding app.