[Architecture] User authentication via USB prototype

Boyan Sheytanov boyan.sheytanov at asteasolutions.com
Mon Feb 20 14:07:12 UTC 2012

Hey there!

Here's another update from me: added a call to the preferences server at
/user/:token. The code is pushed up in the git repo and I've also started a
wiki page to describe the communication:
http://wiki.gpii.net/index.php/REST_API.

Meanwhile I realized that the user listener component doesn't need a local
Node.js server because of a few reasons:
1. Communication is outbound only (from the user listener to the flow
manager);
2. User listeners will be implemented with a native solution based on the
device, so we don't need the cross-platform compatibility of Node.js;
3. A flaw of the architecture as I see it is the number of Node.js servers
that will be running on a single local machine. This can be solved by
making them modules of a single server listening on different paths, but
still any reduction in the number of servers will make the architecture
more robust and decrease the communication overhead.

Therefore, I was thinking of getting rid of the Node.js server in the user
listener I implemented. A call to the flow manager in this case would be
made directly from the script. I'd like to hear your comments on that, via
email or on tomorrow's meeting.

On Thu, Feb 16, 2012 at 16:56, Boyan Sheytanov <
boyan.sheytanov at asteasolutions.com> wrote:

> Hi again,
>
> I moved my notes on the USB user listener to the GPII wiki:
> http://wiki.gpii.net/index.php/User_Listener. I updated them and did a
> little maintenance work on the wiki, linking some pages together. Please
> let me know if there is something unclear that I need to change, though it
> might be better to iterate on the documentation again *after* wiring up
> the implementation with the preferences server.
>
> Best,
> Boyan
>

> On Tue, Feb 14, 2012 at 15:26, Boyan Sheytanov <
> boyan.sheytanov at asteasolutions.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi all!
>>
>> I've pushed my code to the GPII repo that Yura mentioned (
>> https://github.com/GPII/GPIIStack/). Some development notes are
>> available in the wiki on github:
>> https://github.com/GPII/GPIIStack/wiki/User-authentication-with-a-USB-stick
>> .
>>
>> Talk to you soon,
>> Boyan
>>
>> On Tue, Feb 14, 2012 at 02:20, Colin Clark <colinbdclark at gmail.com>wrote:
>>
>>> Boyan,
>>>
>>> This is awesome! I'll look more closely at it tomorrow, but it's great
>>> to see these emerging prototypes.
>>>
>>> Yes, we'll have our weekly development meeting tomorrow at the usual
>>> time. I'll include you in the call.
>>>
>>> Talk to you then,
>>>
>>> Colin
>>>
>>> On 2012-02-13, at 12:30 PM, Boyan Sheytanov <
>>> boyan.sheytanov at asteasolutions.com> wrote:
>>>

>>> Is there an architecture meeting tomorrow (Tuesday) at 1pm Eastern? If
>>> so, I'd like to participate (Colin has my Skype coordinates) with the
>>> following items in the agenda:
>>> 1. MongoDB/CouchDB comparison
>>> 2. USB authentication prototype