[Architecture] gsettings prototyping

Colin Clark colinbdclark at gmail.com
Mon Feb 6 23:42:43 UTC 2012

Steve,

This is exceptional! I watched the screencast and spent some time with the code. Nice work. This is a great start on the process of building a RESTful binding to the platform's central settings store. What do you think the next steps are?

Off the top of my head, it seems like we might want to do a few things:

* Extend this to support multiple preferences in a JSON-based payload--making both the REST resource and the underlying gsettings/Node.js bridge handle a collection of settings
* Look at implementing equivalents on Windows and Mac OS X, just to illustrate how cross-platform this solution is, with minimal dependence on native code
	- I can take a look at the Mac implementation, even though it's not direct deliverable for Cloud4all
	- Perhaps Trifon or Boyan might be willing to prototype the Windows equivalent once we've settled on a reasonable API?
* Put together a handful of real preferences we'd like to support for our first two use cases: auto configuration of a screen magnifier and a screen reader
* Put together the equivalent list of generic AccessForAll preferences for the above use case

Yura is away in Berkeley this week, but I gather he's started to sketch out a Node-based preferences server with Express and CouchDB as a prototype. I think we're getting quite close to the point where we can write the matching code to transform user preferences into application settings and actually show the architecture working end-to-end in its simplest form.

As always, I'm a bit behind on documenting this whole approach in our wiki; that's my main goal for this week.

Again, I'm really impressed by this work, Steve!

Colin