[Architecture] GPII-30 work pushed to all 3 repositories

Yura Zenevich yura.zenevich at gmail.com
Wed Aug 29 09:33:27 EDT 2012

Thanks Antranig for pushing those pull requests in.

I just wanted to mention a couple of examples of how components can be initialized and configured using the new architecture structure.

Any component (or a group of components) can be started now through running the same JavaScript file that can be found here:
https://github.com/GPII/universal/blob/master/gpii/node_modules/gpiiFramework/init.js

This file needs to be run with the following command:

[NODE_ENV] node path/to/gpiiFramework/init.js pathToSomeConfigDirectory

pathToSomeConfigDirectory - a path to a directory that contains one or more configuration files to run.
NODE_ENV - an optional environment variable to run the application in (default value is "development").

The init script will look up and run a configuration file in the config directory that corresponds to the value of the NODE_ENV variable (by default - "someConfigDirectory/development.json")

As Antranig mentioned, configuration can contain any number of architecture components that are now treated as apps deployed on any number of separate node server instances. Here are some examples:

A simple one app one server configuration to run preferences server as a standalone:
https://github.com/GPII/universal/blob/master/gpii/node_modules/preferencesServer/configs/production.json

A two app (preferences server and solutions registry) one server configuration:
https://github.com/GPII/universal/blob/master/gpii/configs/ps.sr.production.json

The following configuration deploys all components in the architecture under one server:
https://github.com/GPII/universal/blob/master/gpii/node_modules/flowManager/configs/production.json

Hope this helps,

Yura